Thursday, December 8, 2011

Downtown Holiday Market Tour


A rainy day in Washington, DC

Yesterday, the rain poured in DC all day like pellets in a pond. The drops were so full and fat that after just minutes in the rain, my shoes were beginning to soak through. I was heading to meet with a friend for drink—a hot chocolate—before heading out for the evening. On the way, I happened to see the Downtown Holiday Market, which is just across the street from the Gallery Place/Chinatown metro exit. I’d never visited the market prior to yesterday, but somehow that day, in the rain, I felt drawn to take a look.

Vendors were set up along the street in a string of white tents. There were no crowds, but that was good because there was so much to see. What I found were dozens of great gifts, from lotions and hats to handmade jewelry and homemade chocolate balls.
  

My first stop was at the tent for the Virginia Chocolate Company. They sell chocolate truffles, butter creams, caramels, and  a host of other chocolate confections in addition to jams. Chocolatier and owner Tim Douglas offered assorted chocolate gift boxes at the market yesterday. He also shared with me a bit about the company history.

He tells me it was his love of chocolate that inspired him to leave a career in law and start his own chocolate business. There was a time in his life when he was battling against cancer. That experience, he says, helped him prioritize how he wanted to spend his life. He found working with chocolate so fulfilling that, for him, starting the chocolate business was one of the best decisions he’d ever made.

I probably could have talked to Tim for hours, but knowing that I had to meet my friend, I pressed on through the rain. Catching my attention next was Beth Vosoba.

Essence de Provence
Beth Vosoba is owner and artist at Essence de Provence. Her tent carries the artisan crafts of her masterwork with lavender. Imported from France, the lavender is made into remarkable wreaths, lotions, soaps, and fragrant housewares. Her products are simply luxurious, but most importantly they are authentic. Stepping into the tent with her was like walking through the door of a boutique. And with the smell of lavender in the air, it had the feel of the Mediterranean countryside. Vin et fromage, anyone?

Further along, I met with Cheedem Ettekin. He owns Turquoise, a small jewelry shop at 2118 18th Street, NW, in Washington, DC. It just opened recently in the Adams Morgan area, a perfect place to find one-of-a-kind items while you’re traveling.

inFused Spreads
At the end of my tour through the market, I found inFused Spreads. This company specializes in uniquely flavored preserves. They have fruit butters, jams, marmalades, and specialty items. While they offer a lot of traditional flavors, there are also a few for those who like the taste of things out of the ordinary. The orange chipotle is a good example. It has a sweet, smoky flavor that reminded me a bit of jellied barbecue sauce. It’s not a flavor I would pair with just anything, but with a meal of beef? Definitely.

When I finally arrived to meet my friend, I shared all the details of the wonderful finds I found on my unexpected trip. This is one I’ll plan to make again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments, thoughts, and ideas.